Balvenie Distillery, built in 1892 by William Grant, is located north of the town of Dufftown, near Glenfiddich. The name comes from the nearby Castle of Balvenie. This castle was built in the 13th century by the MacGregor clan. “Bal” means house or farm, but the meaning of “Venie” is unknown. William Grant, during the construction of the distillery in 1893, purchased second-hand stills from Lagavulin and Glen Albyn. Not that he wanted to save money, he wanted to have stills that showed that they were capable of producing good whiskey.
Balvenie Triple Cask has been aged in three different types of barrels: American oak barrel used in Sherry, European oak barrel used in Sherry and ex-Bourbon barrel.